Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Lake Sunrise & Lake Sunset

It has been on our list for awhile to put the canoe into Lake Sunrise and Lake Sunset. We were a little disappointed when we arrived to find out the access to Lake Sunrise was not going to allow us to go. So here are Lola and Lexie ready to tool around Lake Sunset!

Along our ride we got to see lots of nature. Today we came across Cormorants.









Lexie and Lola do great just watching and not barking or JUMPING out of the canoe.












I get a SMOOCH in with my Superhero!










On our way home we went by Camp Sunrise where Brad went for Webelos Scout camp and later worked there. I will let him tell you about it...





Just a few short years ago, somewhere around 1980 Camp Sunrise became my summer home. I started working here, Bush Lodge - The Dining Hall. Summer camp life revolved around the dining hall. Funny I remember the porch roof being much higher. We were lucky enough to run into the Ranger who allowed us inside. He was the son of the Ranger who worked when I was here. Funny.








A treasure inside the hall, and I remember this from when I was here. It is a great original Norman Rockwell. It captures what we where doing at Camp, teaching those scouts coming up the ranks behind us, showing them the path, and hoping they returned to do the same.








1982 - I had left the dining hall after the '80 summer and became a counselor. Can you find me on the plaque? Thats me in the front "Snoopy". I was nicknamed that after a Sunday paper cartoon where Snoopy was with his Woodstock scouts. The name stuck as I was not much bigger than the scouts I was leading.

I guess we had no artists on staff my first year. Our plaque seems a little un-imaginative compared to 1982. As I read these names I can still see every one of them in my mind. Dirt, Mo, Apache, King Tut, and Boner, to name a few. WOW what memories. Little things kept popping into my head around every turn we took.






The Ranger let us drive down to the lake so we could put in and add to our canoeing list.






Care to guess why this photo is not framed as well as the one above? Poor Donna always has to settle for a picture shot by me.



Adding Lake Sunrise to our list of outings. We are keeping our log on the sides of our canoe.










Can't get any better. A day with my honey and the girls, two lakes checked off our list and a crap load of memories. What a day!!

No comments: