Thursday, November 20, 2008

Expressions 16 years later!

Vermont Photographer installed as President of
Professional Photographers Association of New England

by Bradley Hale

There would be no question to what profession Donna M Goodhue would undertake. “Photography has always been a part of my being, it was never a choice. I never had to think what I would do when I grew up, I always knew, ever since being taught to use a camera by my stepfather!” Her stepfather taught her how to use a 35mm SLR camera while their family spent a year traveling around the United States. From second grade on she would never be without a camera. Her family left California and returned to her mother's hometown of
 Morrisville VT. Donna would continue her photography working on the yearbook staff in eighth grade continuing through high school as one of the editors. During high school her guidance counselor recommended she should attend a state program on the arts. “ The key to jump-starting my dream of becoming a professional photographer into a reality was attending the Vermont Governors Institute on the Arts. My instructor was Ralph Alswang a renowned Washington DC photographer for Newsweek Magazine who gave me the secret to becoming a photographer, He said “You need to get experience however you can and to do it on someone else's dime. Get a
job or volunteer to take photos get your foot in the door and work your butt off.” I took that advice and spent my time hanging out at The Village Photographer in Morrisville and bothering the Owner Jay Kennedy until I got a job in the shop.” At age 15, Donna began doing every job imaginable at the camera store and studio even assisting Jay on photo shoots. Jay Kennedy would later guide her toward Rhode Island School of Photography, the best school at the time for photography. While attending RISP in Providence, RI, Donna would travel back and forth on weekends still working for Jay. On one such weekend Donna and Jay had been shooting a wedding in Killington, VT and had run into the McNeil brothers who owned a local men's clothing store, McNeil & Reedy. They were intrigued by Donna and Jay at their creativity and work they were putting into the wedding. The McNeil's stated that there were no such photographers in the area that worked like them. Jay had asked about some photographers he knew from the area, the Delahanty brothers. Jay was told they were no longer doing studio photography but still in the industry working for AGFA, and their studio had been empty for a year. Upon graduating from RISP, Donna returned to Morrisville and continued to work another six months for the Village Photographer all along with plans of starting her own business. When the time came to start a studio, the words from the brothers echoed in her head and she traveled to Rutland in November 1992 and found the abandoned studio of Norm Porter on Grove St still owned by Ron Delahanty and she rented from him on the spot. Ron also advised he had a friend with an apartment around the corner. She rented that too and headed back home to move. “ I did not have any connections or family in the Rutland area. I guess my youth overshadowed my fear of starting a business and living in a town where I knew absolutely no one.”

Opening Expressions Portrait Studio 1993 business grew rapidly as the studio was just
doors away from a bridal shop and around the corner from Rutland High . After two years of watching the growth and success of her studio, Donna knew that Rutland was where she would be staying. Donna then purchased her home on Franklin St. After five years on Grove Street, Donna had outgrown her space and decided to move into a retail space at 10 Stratton Road, following the high school that had moved there the year prior. She rented the space with all intentions of building a studio at her home. That day happened after 5 years in Aug 2003 when Expressions Portrait Studio came home to Franklin ST. Donna built an addition onto her house giving her a decent sized camera space along with office space upstairs. By working from her home Donna was able to offer more flexible hours, and decreased her overhead allowing her to reduce her volume and spend more time with her clients to exceed any expectations they may have. “ I am very fortunate, not only do I love what I do, but many of my clients have become extensions of my family. For that last 16 years I have had the opportunity to photograph high school seniors and go on to photograph their weddings, births of their children and their lives. One can not but
feel part of a family when you have witnessed and recorded some of the most precious
memories anyone will ever have in their life.” Expressions Portrait Studio has been going
strong ever since with a customer loyalty that bars none. Donna attributes her success in business to her continued investment in education by keeping up with technology, which is ever changing in the photography business. In a short twenty years the tools used by photographers may have changed. Film to digital, Paper proofs to online viewing, darkrooms to Photoshop, but Donna says the craft has stayed the same. “A portrait, by definition, should portray. It should go beyond showing just the view of a face to reveal the soul of the person. Any one with a camera
can take a picture, but it takes a special degree of sensitivity to create an image that stirs the emotion of the viewer. This is the goal I have for everyone who sits before my camera to bring out the inner beauty and personality each of us shares. The difference between creating a great portrait and a mediocre one, goes far beyond using the “right” camera or knowing all the “tricks” to make someone smile. The secret is a supreme command of the craft and tools in addition to a strong commitment to excellence in every detail. I aspire to produce the finest photography I am capable of, without compromise. I have never regretted that decision. Quality does not go out of style. It is always appreciated by those who know the difference”

Instrumental in her education has been her involvement in professional photography associations. Donna joined these associations while still in high school. Vermont Professional Photographers (VPP) would be her state organization, and she served on the board in all positions including president twice. She now serves in an advisory capacity for the organization. Professional Photographer's Association of New England (PPANE) is her regional organization. There too she has served in all positions on the board and is the current president. “ It's hard to imagine starting out as a student member and now being the President. In the association's 113-year history, only 5 females have become president, four of us being from Vermont.” Donna also serves as a council member to the Professional Photographers of America (PPA) her international organization. Through these associations Donna has become a Certified Professional Photographer earning her degrees as, Master Photographer and Photographic Craftsmen, and becoming an Affiliated Juror. Donna is one of only three Vermont photographers that hold all three distinctions, and 1 of only 100 nationwide photographers recognized by the PPA as an Affiliated Juror to judge international print competitions. This year Donna has been awarded one of the highest award for imagery as one of PPA's Photographers of the year. “I am very proud of my accomplishments and the life I have made in Rutland. If it were
not for the time, patience and support from my family, friends and mentors I would not have been able to do it. The way I see it, there are two kinds of dreams: One is a dream that will always be just that - a dream, a vision that you will never hold in your hands. Then there is the second, that seems more than a dream, its almost like a map; a map that you live by, that you trade your days for, knowing that someday you're going to stand on top of that mountain, holding everything you saw in your head right there in your hands. I chose the second one…. When I look around and see what I've done; It started in my head, its now in my hands and its going to end up in my heart…I'm real happy, I'm real proud. One of the greatest gifts that I have received is the courage to go on, I guess I could sum it up by saying. “I'm happy. Thanks for the chance to live my dream!”

No comments: